Bromley RFC VS Thanet Wanderers

Bromley RFC VS Thanet Wanderers



Bromley RFC47Win
Thanet Wanderers RFC18Loss
Read about the game

Bromley RFC VS Thanet Wanderers RFC


As with most weeks, there were a number of changes to the team from the previous week. In the forwards, Pullen and Smith returned and in the backs, Fothers came into the centres. Just before kick off a further reshuffle with Holland succumbing to injury Tommy Scott came into the pack and Charles Lee stepped up onto the bench. Bromley will probably want to forget the first ten minutes as they were constantly pinged by the referee for various offences and the Thanet Wanderers number ten indulged in a bit of shooting practice mostly from a fair distance out. He had a long range boot on him and landed two out of four kicks and the away side were 6-0 up without really having to work for it. This gave Thanet significant encouragement and they began to attack the home side with gusto. They broke the line on a couple of occasions and only good scramble defence kept them out. Coming up to fifteen minutes and Bromley had not really had a foothold in the game and then suddenly they created a beautiful flowing move leading to Pope scything through to create the space for Rice to score and fly half Griffiths added the conversion. 7-6.

Bromley to kick on. Unfortunately not as a few minutes later Tommy Scott committed an indiscretion and was yellow carded. This gave Wanderers further encouragement and after a long period of sustained pressure they scored to the right of the posts and so after twenty five minutes they were 7-11 to go the good. At this stage, it looked as if Bromley had a long afternoon ahead unless they got a bit of stability and control into their game. With Scott back on Bromley made ground up the right hand side leading to Thanet giving away a couple of penalties. The home side turned down a relatively simple shot at the posts and went for the try. After two or three surges at the line George Scott proved unstoppable from close range and with the conversion they took the lead 17-11. Five minutes later they were at it again with Hawkins making ground and releasing winger Griffiths who made ground and moved the ball onto Pope who with work to do skipped past a couple of defenders to score a super try which was complimented by a superb touchline conversion from fly half Griffiths. This led to further heavy pressure from Bromley and only a penalty against Pope probably prevented another try scoring opportunity

A real mixed bag of a first half from Bromley with the only constant being the set pieces which were rock solid with evidence of work on the training ground. However, they were 19-11 ahead but still with plenty of work to do. They started the second period like a steam train and had the away side in a world of trouble leading them to commit one punishable offence too many and the referee awarded a penalty try and three minutes in they were 26-11 up and the bonus point bagged. During this period of play the Thanet number four was yellow carded and shortly afterwards Bromley began to empty their bench with Lee coming into the front row and the experienced Powell and Pillow joining the fray in the centre and wing respectively. Bromley continued to batter the Thanet defensive line and on fifty six minutes they were awarded two penalties in quick succession leading to Haisell eventually charging forward, quick ruck ball and number ten Griffiths delivered an inch perfect crossfield kick to Pillow who danced his way past a couple of would be defenders to score an excellent try which was well converted. 33-11.

Bromley had the game by the throat but they took their foot off the gas – gave away a cheap penalty through poor tackle technique and this gave Thanet field position. They had proved themselves doughty opponents with a never say die attitude and they were not going to let this opportunity slip and they indulged in a lot of short passing and powering their way forward. Initially, they were repulsed but with good recycling and ball retention, they kept at it and eventually crossed the whitewash on sixty eight minutes for the try which was well converted and it was 33-18. This encouraged them a lot and they were now really up for the fight and Bromley needed to kill the game. They did this in emphatic fashion with two quick scores. The first of these was bagged by prop Smith who somehow found himself on the left wing and although shocked by being passed the ball sniffed out an opportunity and scored. Two minutes later and the home team were in again with a try that would not be in any training manual but showcased the talents of several of the backs and was expertly finished off by Powell. Bromley were 47-18 to the good and over the hill and out of sight. Unfortunately for Thanet in the dying few minutes of the match, they were afflicted by a number of injuries leading to long stoppages and it was a bit of a relief when the referee blew for full time.

Congratulations to Thanet who gave Bromley a real examination and also to the home side, although not at their best, were always up for the challenge and scored a number of excellent tries. In the forwards the second row pairing of Pullen and Brown were tireless and Milne at hooker was powerful in the loose and solid in his set piece work. Of the backs Griffiths at ten had a very good game and Pope on the wing is now showing an encouraging range of talents. Elsewhere the seconds had a friendly at Dartfordians called off at the last moment. The thirds travelled to Warlingham and recorded a solid 27-19 win which is just reward for all the hard work that was put into getting this fixture organised, by both clubs and a team together. Next week Bromley travels to Charlton Park which is always a difficult fixture, the seconds will be looking for a friendly as they have not played now for two weeks and the thirds are away at Old Alleynians.