Bromley RFC VS Heathfield and Waldron

Bromley RFC VS Heathfield and Waldron



Bromley RFC33Win
Heathfield & Waldron0Loss
Read about the game

Bromley RFC VS Heathfield and Waldron


From their last outing versus Cranbrook Bromley were forced to make a number of changes as some regulars were unavailable. Carroll and Smith came into the front row, Bender slotted in at outside centre and had a fine game with some strong tackling and Storey appeared on the left wing. The away side have been doughty opponents in the past and the first twenty minutes suggested that this game was to be no different.

Early exchanges were mainly confined to midfield but both defences were sound and a combination of dropped passes and players slipping on the greasy top surface did not make for a great spectacle. Heathfield and Waldron had a couple of half chances to trouble the scoreboard but they disappeared very quickly with eager defending by the home team. On twenty four minutes Heathfield attempted a penalty kick from near the half way line but this was short and wide. Bromley now began to stir themselves helped by an increasingly dominant scrum and this drew benefits on twenty eight minutes when they turned over opposition ball allowing scrum half George Scott to break away and jink his way over the line and with the conversion by the excellent kicker Alex Griffiths the score was 7-0.

 It was hoped that they would push on from there but Heathfield had other ideas and exerted considerable pressure before half time. They were close to crossing the line on a couple of occasions but good defence kept them out. However, Bobby Brown transgressed during this passage of play and earned the right to spend ten minutes on the sidelines. Although Bromley were ahead at halftime they had huffed and puffed throughout most of the first forty plus minutes and needed to inject a bit of oomph into their play. Consequently, the second half was a different story with the black and ambers playing at pace and generally intelligently.

Wilson got things moving four minutes in when another powerful scrum drove the away pack back over their line and he dotted down. Conversion successful 14-0. The pressure from the home side was now relentless and in their desperation to stop a possible try one of the opposing backs was yellow carded for a pretty blatant high tackle. This led to Bromley being encamped in the bottom right hand corner and another powerful scrum on sixty four minutes ended with young Oscar Gray diving over the line for a well deserved try. 19-0. In the final quarter of the game, Bromley through Johnny Griffiths and George Scott began to kick cleverly into the corners forcing Heathfield to clear or run from deep and this exerted extra pressure. This paid dividends on sixty seven minutes when JG flighted a lovely kick into the corner, this was well chased and Bromley secured the ball to release Bender and his centre partner Griffiths to make inroads. The ball was recycled and released to Ben Smith who charged onto the ball like a hungry hippo, scattered two or three defenders, took out the posts and scored a great try and with the conversion, it was 26-0.

Bromley were now playing fifteen man rugby with the ball whizzing about all over the place and after an intricate move Rice was released and he powered his way over for another converted try. The final stages of the game were played in gathering gloom and the only incident of note was another yellow card for the away side when their very good fly half was adjudged to have made an inappropriate remark. Bromley wins 33-0. All in all a perfect day at the office for Bromley with a five point haul and managing to keep their own line intact. However, the penalty count against them was too high which needs to be addressed and some technical issues need to be ironed out but spirits amongst the players, coaches and spectators were high after the game. Next week they make the short trip to Dulwich to take on league leaders Alleynians. They gave Bromley a bit of a rugby lesson in the second half of the corresponding fixture early in the season so a tough assignment awaits.

The seconds travelled to Warlingham and again this proved to be a very difficult fixture for a number of reasons. However, this young side acquitted themselves very well and at one stage were ahead but a pretty ferocious list of injuries took its toll and they eventually succumbed to 34-19. Next week they take on old rivals Park House and goodness knows who the threes might be playing as this changes quite dramatically over the course of the week.