Bromley RFC VS Pulborough RFC

Bromley RFC VS Pulborough RFC



Bromley RFC62Win
Pulborough RFC12Loss
Read about the game

Bromley RFC VS Pulborough RFC


After a sold out Ladies Lunch the Bromley supporters were looking forward to the game against Pulborough at 3.00pm. Well that didn’t happen as the away side had transport difficulties which delayed the kick off until 3.30. Pulborough were a bit out of sorts with some of the their players still entering the field of play after the game started. The home side were in no mood to be generous and were straight on the attack. On two minutes Hawkins broke down the left hand side to release prop Holland who galloped into the opposition half passing to Pillow who was knocked into touch yards short. Three minutes later Bromley won good lineout ball and the ball was transferred quickly to Laws who strolled in under the posts leaving an easy conversion. A few minutes later Bromley turned over a lineout on the halfway line leading to a speculative kick which discombobulated the Pulborough defence and Tommy Scott benefitted with the touch down leading to an excellent conversion by Johnny Griffiths. Pulborough began to get into the game and tried to get their attacking game going but on twenty four minutes they were stripped of the ball in midfield and after good trickery and handling by Hawkins and Pillow the rampaging Holland was put into space and there was no stopping him for the third try which was not converted. From the kick off Pullen made a great catch under pressure which led to a number of forward carries which gave the backs room to weave their magic with the ball transferred to Hawkins to Pillow to George Scott and try time and with the conversion it was 26-0 and the bonus point secured after twenty six minutes.

Bromley now had the bit well and truly between their teeth and two minutes later scored a quite wonderful team try with the ball transferred multiple times leaving the livewire Mike Smith to deliver the coup de grace. Conversion unsuccessful. After these thrilling passages of play there was a bit of a lull with the only notable incident being a yellow card for Laws for a clumsy high tackle. Pulborough came out with more intensity at the start of the second half but Bromley soaked it up and Johnny Griffiths used his dancing feet to break out of defence into attack mode and released Alex Griffiths who motored to the line for a converted try. This did not deter Pulborough and they returned to the attack and on fifty three minutes after concerted attempts they finally got over the line and with an excellent conversion the score was 38-7 to Bromley. However the home side were far from finished and five minutes later after good work by Hawkins George Scott put in a clever kick behind the covering defence and Johnny Griffiths scampered over but could not convert his own try.

On sixty minutes came one of the highlights of the game with Robbie Brown making a storming run up the middle of the pitch and passed to James Powell in traffic but he smashed his way through and put on the after burners, rolled back the years and scored a scorcher of a try which brought the crowd to their feet – well most of them – and this wonderful effort was magnificently converted by Griffiths which brought a smile to his face and a nod to the spectators. Ten minutes later after another bout of good and intelligent interplay by Bromley the ever willing Pillow was the recipient of a scoring pass and he jinked his way over for another fine converted try. On seventy six minutes Pulborough turned over a ball in midfield and released their winger in space and he resembled a chap who was trying to get to McDonalds before it shut such was his speed as he tore across the ground to score a try wide out. Bromley were to have the final say with fly half Griffiths launching an enormous crossfield kick which was caught brilliantly on the wing and slipped inside to the supporting Laws who had the easy job of dotting down to more or less conclude the game. 62-12 to Bromley.

It was a bit unfortunate for Pulborough to run into Bromley in this form but they never threw the towel in and were competitive to the last despite getting a pretty torrid time at the set pieces. The referee let the game flow which added to the spectacle and this in turn gave Bromley the opportunity to display their attacking game and their defensive qualities when required. Spectators and players retired to the bar and hall to watch England v Ireland with the men in green winning. Elsewhere on some far flung field on neutral territory a Bromley XV took on a Kingston XV. This turned into a real battle but the Bromley boys playing with great spirit took the spoils with a 17-12 win. Next week is a completely blank canvas – it is still the rugby season isn’t it? – and hopefully one or two fixtures can be organised. The firsts are next in action on the 26th March away at Maidstone.